Throughout the years, businesses, residents and visitors have enjoyed the small-town feel of Upper Kirby’s unique community. As you enter the vibrant neighborhoods, you travel an ever-changing and always expanding road to a quieter time and place in the midst of a large, bustling city.
Established in 1988, Upper Kirby District’s commitment to economic development and the redevelopment of underperforming properties has proven to be the catalyst for change. The revitalization of the area was further enhanced with the creation of a Management District (Harris County Improvement District No. 3) in 1997 and a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ No. 19) in 1999.
The infrastructure and pedestrian improvements completed and planned provide a foundation to successfully merge new, high density residential and retail developments with well-established neighborhoods. Ongoing maintenance of improvements and attention to quality of life creates a blueprint capable of accommodating the District’s growing population without sacrificing its natural beauty and character.
Creation and Funding Sources
• Harris County Improvement District No. 3
• Created by the State Legislature in 1997
• $0.1375/$100 Ad Valorem Tax on commercial properties only
• Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. 19
• Created through the City of Houston in 1999
• City tax increment revenue over 1999 base value